Thursday, December 30, 2010

Redying the shirt take 2

So the shirt I've been working on (trying to fix/hide the fact that it has bleach spots) had the dye removed, and is now ready to be dyed again!

I bought Dylon Olive Green dye, attempting to make the shirt as close to the original color as possible (short of mixing dyes).

Here's what happened:

1. Using gloves, I mixed the dye powder into warm water, in a stainless steel pot.

2. I put the DAMP shirt to be dyed, into the dye bath

After 3 min in the mix (above)

After 9 min in the mix.
I stopped dying the shirt after 9 minutes. Last time I dyed it much longer, and the color was a pretty cool dark green. But, the color was so dark that it hid some of the green screen printed patterns, so that is why I'm going lighter this time.
3. Rinse the shirt
4. Wash it
I forgot to add salt in the mix. I've heard this helps prevent dye bleeding in the future (I've also heard washing it in vinegar?) Maybe I'll do that next time.
Now, I'm waiting for the laundry to get done to see how this turned out!

2 comments:

  1. How long did you leave it in to get that real dark color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did you leave it in to get that real dark color?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and advice! Thanks in advance :)